Friday, April 22, 2011

Hot Cross Buns and Circuit Training

Hello!
Last night was very eventful! First off around 6 pm we were hit with a crazy snowstorm that even included lightning and thunder.

Ahhhh....snow. 


Then Justin had his meeting, and returned home around 10. He came running in the door frantic saying he couldn't start the car. So I went out there to use my magic women touch....which didn't even work. Justin was totally stressed out running around crazy. I was cool, calm and collective. Those who know me probably don't believe me, but I was totally calm. I didn't head to bed until after midnight and we had another issue with Ridley getting stuck under the bed and crying. He is by far the most dramatic dog I have ever met....almost reminds of Justin freaking out about the car. While I was helping Ridley out from under the bed he whipped his head back and busted me in the mouth. My lip was bleeding and my chin was numb. Justin also had to be to work work an hour early this morning so our alarm was set for super early. Since we a one car family Justin only had one choice...to ride his bike to work...on icy roads.

 Our Xterra


Well, at 6 am Justin went out and the car STARTED right up!! Oh, thank the Lord! After Justin left, I went back to bed (but don't tell him). I slept long and hard until almost 10 and it felt so good.....honestly we never sleep past 7 or 730 on "working" days. Geesh, don't judge me..... I use to get up at 4 am for work. 

I had purchased ingredients to make Hot Cross Buns today for Good Friday. Hot Cross Buns are a long and arduous task, so beware: Hot Cross Buns take ALL DAY to make.





Hot Cross Buns
12-14 buns
1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or instant)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cup warm whole milk (110 – 115 degrees F)
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
1/3 cup currants
For the glaze:
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
Equipment:
1 medium bowl
1 large bowl, oiled
Plastic wrap or kitchen towel
1 (13 x 9-inch) baking dish, brushed with oil
2 small bowls
1 pastry brush
1 small whisk
1 tablespoon
1 large baking tray/sheet
1 wire rack
1 flat spatula

Add sugar to bowl along with milk and stir to dissolve sugar. Toss in yeast and give a little stir (be sure to wipe off any yeast stuck on the spoon), cover and leave to proof for 10 minutes in a warm place.
Add flour to bowl along with ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt and stir to mix thoroughly; toss in raisins and mix.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yeast-milk mixture and mix to form dough. Once formed, knead the dough for 2 minutes, place in an oiled bowl, cover and put in a warm place to rise for 1 -1/2 hours or until the dough has more than doubled in size.
Punch down risen dough and knead for 2 minutes and then cut dough into equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball and place in oiled baking dish. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F with the rack in the middle 20 minutes before the 1 hour of rising is complete.
Add 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons water to small bowl and stir to dissolve sugar.
Brush risen dough with sugar-water and transfer dish to the oven. Bake for 12 minutes; brush with sugar-water and bake for another 12 minutes. Brush again with sugar-water and bake for 3 minutes.
Remove dish from oven, place on wire rack and brush a few times with sugar-water and leave to cool in the dish for 10 – 12 minutes.
Use your spatula to pry the buns from the pan and transfer to wire rack then place the wire rack on the baking sheet/tray and let buns continue to cool.
Meanwhile, add icing sugar and milk to a bowl and whisk to dissolve. Using a tablespoon, drizzle the glaze all over the buns – on the top and sides. Let buns continue to cool until you are ready to serve them.


Drool Worthy :)

Yummy yummy in my tummy!
This was the easiest one I found by googling Hot Cross Buns. I did however make a few changes.....I'm not very good with directions. Instead of raisins I used dried currants. I also used raw sugar instead of white granulated sugar. I almost used whole wheat flour, but I didn't want to totally ruin the recipe. I did the sugar water glaze, but for the cross part I made a cream cheese frosting.....because there is nothing closer to God than cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese + powdered sugar + a smidgen of milk = awesomeness as pure as heaven. 

During the first hour and half rising I did a circuit workout in the living room while watching Nate and Hoda and KL. I use to circuit train really hard 3-4 times a week when I had to take some time off from running. Before I would head to the gym I would write out 5-6 different circuits that I would repeat 3 times. It usually would take 60-90 minutes. I really enjoy circuit training because you can include high intensity cardio and weight training. This mornings circuit had to be done in my home with minimal equipment. I used 3 different objects: 8 lbs dumbbells, a step and a mat. I had a great workout and ended up extra schweaty!





 So now I sit here, sore from from my leg heavy circuit and full from my Hot Cross Buns watching reruns of The Waltons listening to my neighbor above me play Rock Band with the base on. Snowy days make into hibernation. 

Since we are alone in our new city we don't have a big get together for Easter on Sunday. This is our first real Holiday all alone. We'll see how it goes....

Some questions for you..........................

What are your plans for Easter/weekend?
obviously nothing to much for us. Justin works Saturday and I'll more than likely get a road ride in on my bike since its going to be 50 degrees!!

Have you ever made Hot Cross Buns or eaten them??
This was actually my first time making them, but I have eaten them many times before ......at Panera!

What is your favorite at home workout?
i enjoy working out at home doing circuits or putting my bike on the trainer or even doing a workout video. 


Next week there will be a Wildtree giveaway from yours truly on another blog. I will announce it when it happens!!

2 comments:

  1. My mom always used to make hot cross buns on Good Friday--I'm missing them this year. Yours look delicious!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chels! Those buns of yours look yummy, wish I could have tried them. Is this a new training program of yours? Hot cross buns then circuit training? Let me know how that works out for you!!!! XOXOXO YO MAMA

    ReplyDelete


Munchkin Land Designs Image from iStock

Welcome!

My name is Chelsea and I am 25 (nearly 26 year old) housewife/Wildtree Independent Direct Sales Rep. This blog follows my hubby and I as we set up a new home in Bozeman, MT where we don't know a soul, healthy living, exercise, food (usually Wildtree) and life with the worlds most stubborn chocolate lab. I love sweets and veggies and I am constantly learning how to balance the two!

Our Son Ridley

Our Son Ridley

My Wildtree Shop

I am a direct sales rep for a fabulous company called Wildtree! Wildtree sells a natural food products as wells as grapeseed oils. Every Wildtree product is natural, containing no additives, MSG or food dyes. For more information please email me cjraynes (at) gmail.com!

Followers

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.