Friday, May 20, 2011

Whole Wheat Shortbread Cookies


Good Friday Morning!! Can you believe it's already Friday?? Only 3 more days till I start my new job, and I am super excited for it!! Yesterday I was getting the itchin' to bake something, but I am out of bread flour, white flour and Xanthan Gum! All I have is Whole Wheat flour, so I looked around for a recipe. I found this Whole Wheat Shortbread  recipe from The Seattle Time from 2003!! I made a few changes, by adding a bit more sugar and adding vanilla, and I also sprinkled them sugar before baking them. 


Whole Wheat Shortbread
 adapted from The Seattle Times 
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup 
Turbinado sugar or "Sugar in the Raw"
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted imported or "European-style" butter
1 Teaspoon Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with baker's parchment.

2. Put the whole-wheat flour, the raw sugar and the salt in the work bowl of a food processor and process briefly 
just to blend. If you don't own a food processor, stir the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

3. Cut the butter into half-inch bits and add them to the flour mixture. Process, pulsing the motor on and off until 
the mixture comes together to form a crumbly dough. If you're working without a food processor, use a pastry 
cutter or your fingers to press the butter into the flour. Shape the dough into two logs, each about 6 inches long, 
and slice the logs into half-inch slices or roll out and dough and use cookie cutters.

4. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely before storing in airtight containers. 
The cookies keep for up to one week, but are best eaten a day or two after they are baked. 





They turned out pretty good, I am glad I used 1 cup of sugar rather then just 1/2 a cup,
 they were just sweet enough. Today it's raining and chilly in Montana, so I after my workout I
might take myself out to a movie!  We don't really have any weekend plans, do you??

2 comments:


Munchkin Land Designs Image from iStock

Welcome!

My name is Chelsea and I am 25 (nearly 26 year old) housewife/Wildtree Independent Direct Sales Rep. This blog follows my hubby and I as we set up a new home in Bozeman, MT where we don't know a soul, healthy living, exercise, food (usually Wildtree) and life with the worlds most stubborn chocolate lab. I love sweets and veggies and I am constantly learning how to balance the two!

Our Son Ridley

Our Son Ridley

My Wildtree Shop

I am a direct sales rep for a fabulous company called Wildtree! Wildtree sells a natural food products as wells as grapeseed oils. Every Wildtree product is natural, containing no additives, MSG or food dyes. For more information please email me cjraynes (at) gmail.com!

Followers

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.