Friday, May 13, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons......

Good Friday the 13th to you all!! I hope you have been spared from any Friday the 13th harshness! At least it's Friday right??!!

Well, sadly Blogger was down yesterday and half of today! I felt like a lost puppy without it. I did however let my husband eat his dinner in peace rather then with the camera! 

It has been so warm here in Bozeman, and I am LOVING it! Early this morning Ridley and I hiked a (new to us) trail called the Drinking Horse Trail. It's only 2.2 miles long but it goes straight up for 700 feet for the first half, which is great butt workout. Once we got to the top I really noticed how everything is turning so green here and the views were lovely! By the time we were done I was super sweaty and so glad I brought my camelbak! 

Today I want share a fun recipe I made this week! Since the warmer weather has moved in I have been craving summertime sweets!


Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes!!


I adapted Ina Garten's Lemon Cake Recipe


  • 1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups raw cane sugar sugar
  • 4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
  • 3 cups King Aurthur Cake Flour 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare cupcake tins
2. Cream the butter and 2 cups raw cane sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly in the cupcake tins. 
4. Combine 1/2 cup raw cane sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup. When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.



For the frosting I combined one stick of  unsalted butter, 1 8 oz cream cheese and 4 cups of powdered sugar plus 10 chopped strawberries. Refrigerate for 1 hour. 


I also candied lemons following these directions, except after 24 hours of drying I wasn't in love with results, so I also baked them at 200 degrees for one hour. 



These cupcakes are delicious! They also fare better in the freezer or fridge since the frosting is thinner from the strawberries. That can be remedied by more sugar, but I thought it was sweet enough as it is. 


This weekend I have plans to hit the Lewis and Clark trails on my mountain bike, they are located just out of town! Our warm weather isn't sticking around for good, but I plan on enjoying it while it's here!

I hope everyones Friday is awesome! 

** I opened up a Virtual Party for Wildtree, if you are interested in ordering click this link!


2 comments:

  1. These look delish! Ina's my favorite.. we make her Beatty Chocolate cake for birthdays... but not a fan of her frosting for it ... so Courtney mixed up a batch on her own and we use that. I love anything strawberry! I want to make your frosting! Have fun hiking!! Cathy G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful cupcakes, really whimsical with the straws!

    ReplyDelete


Munchkin Land Designs Image from iStock

Welcome!

My name is Chelsea and I am 25 (nearly 26 year old) housewife/Wildtree Independent Direct Sales Rep. This blog follows my hubby and I as we set up a new home in Bozeman, MT where we don't know a soul, healthy living, exercise, food (usually Wildtree) and life with the worlds most stubborn chocolate lab. I love sweets and veggies and I am constantly learning how to balance the two!

Our Son Ridley

Our Son Ridley

My Wildtree Shop

I am a direct sales rep for a fabulous company called Wildtree! Wildtree sells a natural food products as wells as grapeseed oils. Every Wildtree product is natural, containing no additives, MSG or food dyes. For more information please email me cjraynes (at) gmail.com!

Followers

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs. Copyright 2011. All Rights Reserved.